Saturday, February 19, 2011

Provision

These last couple of months have been very difficult financially for us. We used up our savings in January to help pay for our mortgage. We've always used savings as a sort of second income, drawing from it each month to make it by. Well we had some unexpected expenses and found ourselves a couple months short, before the tax return would come in.
   As we pondered this issue and realized there was no possible way to make that amount of money before our next payment in February was due, we started to pray. Not just simple prayers, but heartfelt cries to God. We found scripture promising he would take care of us and meditated on that as we prayed. Each moment of my day was filled with quiet prayers, asking God to provide just what we need. We also asked a few close friends to pray with us, knowing they would lift us up to Him.
    Within a week of praying we received a monetary gift, more than half of what we would need for February. A week later we received another, the exact amount left that we needed! I was on my knees when that check came, crying, laughing, and praising Him from whom all blessings flow. My kids wondered if I'd gone off the deep end. "You okay, Mama?" "Don't worry", I told them, "Mama's happy not sad, these are happy tears."
   I called Andrew to tell him what happened and he was completely speechless. We were in awe of God's greatness. He, who made the heavens and the earth and everything on the earth, cared enough about our little problem to show up big time and provide in a great way! He cared so much he provided down to the very last dollar.
   As we praised him and thanked him, we continued to pray for our March payment. Once again we were short, but this time it was a different sort of prayer. I wasn't crying out to God in my fear and nervousness, my stress level high and constantly wondering what was going to happen. This time I prayed with a sense of contentment and assurance. I knew, just knew, that He would do it again. Maybe not the same way, but I had complete confidence in my Lord. In fact, I often just said, "Thank you for providing what we need for March" even though he hadn't yet done anything.
   Although I knew he would give us exactly what we needed, I was still surprised when yet another anonymous gift came to us. Half of our March payment! What a great God we serve! And just this week, we received the last half that we needed.
   Not once did we have to borrow or ask others for money. Not once did we have to get behind on payments! Our God did exactly what He is so good at doing. He took care of those who love him!
   These last two months haven't been easy. Our emotions and our doubts have at times taken over. But standing in this place, looking back, I can say it was well worth the trial. Our faith has been dramatically deepened, not because of anything we did, but all because of our great God and his works!
   Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

1 comment:

  1. This has SO been us lately! God is SO good!

    ReplyDelete