Monday, February 14, 2011

Out of the Mouths of Babes

I recently started reading a book called "How to Really Love Your Child". I only made it through the first chapter before I had to stop and pray. I didn't want to just read this book like many others I've read and then forget the content shortly after. I wanted to really let it sink in, absorb, so I could make it useable. So, I just asked the Lord to help me really show love to my kids.
   We know we love our kids. We probably say "I love you" everyday. But do we really show that we love them. Do they know without a doubt that we love them no matter what they do, no matter how they act, no matter how bad they mess up? This is my hearts desire. That my six children would know they are loved unconditionally and I know I need the Lord's help to accomplish that.
   Well, the morning after this prayer we sat down for school as we do most mornings. And, as often happens, I got frustrated with my boys. I don't remember what it was about but I do remember snapping at them. The other children were in the room, coloring and playing. As I snapped at the boys, Olivia raised her head from her coloring page and sweetly said, "Mom, you're not supposed to yell at the boys."
   She had no idea I'd prayed to the Lord to help me show love to my kids. She also had no idea the impact she made on me. I know in that moment the Lord spoke to me through a little six year old girl. One who often causes me more frustration than the other five combined! She struck a chord in me with that simple sentence. I had to stop and apologize to the boys and thank her for reminding me to show love to my kids.
    I won't remember what made me angry. I won't even remember what I said, but I will always remember my little girl speaking words of wisdom to me in a moment when they were desperately needed.
   Thank you, Lord, for your gift of intuition and unquestioning faith to young children. And thank you for answering my prayer so quickly and fully!
    On this "love" holiday, don't just say, "I love you", show it. Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment