Friday, March 5, 2010

You've got your hands full. . .

If I had a dollar for everytime someone said that to me I'd be stinking rich. No kidding. I don't know if people can think of nothing more clever than that, but honestly, everytime I'm out with all my kids I hear it at least once.
I really need a good reply. I can never think of anything, but "yep". Wow, just about knocked your socks off with that one, didn't I?!
In all honesty though, I don't mind it. I think it's funny to watch people's reactions to us. They'll be looking at us, and then ask, "Are they all yours?" When we say yes you can just see their wheels turning, the eyes widen, the jaw drop. It makes me want to laugh everytime. And then comes the original, never thought of before response, "You've got your hands full."
I sometimes wonder what my kids think. I know they hear it, and it's said a lot. They don't seem to mind though.
Afterwards, I always think of something witty I could have said and think, Man, I wish I would have thought of that.
Right now, all I can think of is, if my hands weren't this full, my heart wouldn't be this full. It's crazy around here at the best of times, but I wouldn't change it for the world. I know for sure that I'll never look back and regret having a big family - I'll take the full hands!

2 comments:

  1. That's crazy Sarah, cause any time I'm around you I have to remind myself that you have SIX (count-em) SIX kids. You're always so in control, I wonder why I think that I always 'have my hands full' with ONE! You're an example that I think about often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could say: "And my heart is full as well."
    I always get, "They must keep you busy," and I would like to respond, "Yes, but we are never bored." Often I settle for "yep". I read we are to always be prepared to answer others. Since children are a blessing from the Lord, we should probably know how to acknowledge that blessing.

    ReplyDelete